Brake pads may not be given the importance they deserve, but they do serve an important function when it comes to the brake system of any vehicle. They create the friction that is necessary to stop the car at a required moment. Every brake pad is worn differently and even if they are the same, they may wear at different rates in different environments and circumstances. If you live in Melbourne and are looking for reliable services for brake pads replacement, then get in touch with Fawkner Towing. We provide our services round the clock and all across Melbourne. Along with brake pad replacement, we provide various other services including car battery replacement, fuel delivery, towing services, free battery checkup, etc.
Most Common Brake Pad Wear
Along with mileage incurred, general day-to-day use causes brake pads to wear out. The surrounding environment and the personal driving habits of the owner also affect the condition of the brake pads. Following are some of the reasons that cause brake pads to wear out:
- The usage of brakes affects the lifespan of brake pads. For example, a city driver uses his brakes more as compared to people who drive on highways with little traffic.
- Along with usage, speed plays a factor as well. Drivers who do low-speed stops are usually easier on the brakes as compared to those who have to do heavy braking and that too at higher speeds. Braking at low speeds affects the brake pads less than heavy braking at higher speeds. Congested highways are one of the reasons that cause brake pads to wear out. Since the front of any vehicle handles more weight transfer, front brake pads wear out faster as compared to rear brake pads.
- Over the course of time, the heat and friction that is produced also lead to brake pads wearing out.
- Wear and tear on the brake pads will also be influenced by the axle your brake pads are on. Since cars naturally perform braking with the front brakes, they wear faster as compared to the rear ones. This is why front brake pads’ lifespan is lesser than rear pads.
It is important to understand that the average life of car brake pads is not a hard and fast rule. Some brake pads last up to 70,000 miles while others start showing signs of damage after 28,000 miles. The type of vehicle you own, how you drive it, what are surroundings, etc are some of the factors that influence the lifespan of car brake pads. If you want your brake pads to last long, make sure you take your vehicle for maintenance after regular intervals. Along with this, changing your driving habits will also help you a lot.
How To Extend Your Brake Pads Life
Now, you must be thinking what could be done to increase the lifespan of your brake pads?
It may sound weird, but it is far simpler than what you think. The easiest thing you can do to make your brakes last longer is to change the way you drive and reduce the wear and tear on your brake pads. This change will make you a safe driver and will also allow your brake pads to last longer. Following are some of the tips that will help you out:
- It is recommended that you drive in the flow of traffic to avoid unnecessary heavy braking.
- Keep a nice distance from the car in front of you so you can coast to an easy stop.
- Remove any unnecessary weight present in your vehicle.
- Try to keep your speed low in heavy traffic.
- Avoid sudden braking
Along with this, you can also spray off your rotors when you wash your cars as a way to protect your brakes. When you apply brakes, dust accumulates on the rotors of your car which adds extra friction to the brake pads, when they engage, which leads to shortening their lifespan. Washing your rotors off keeps them smooth and allows them to engage cleanly.
Common Symptoms Of Brake Problems
Braking services are an important part of your vehicle maintenance. They require you to take care of them and when you do, they care for you as well. You may take your vehicle for regular maintenance services, but your vehicles’ brakes will require professional inspection once in a while. Even after regular maintenance, your car may display signs indicating brake issues. Now, you must be wondering what those signs are. You do not have to worry as we have listed down some of the common symptoms of brake problems:
- Squealing or Squeaking Noise
- Brake light on
- Grinding noise
- Vibration or wobbling when braking
- Spongy or soft brakes
- Leaking fluid
- Burning smells
- Stiff or hard brakes
- Car pulling to one side when braking
Brake Checkup And Services
Maintaining your vehicle brake system is an essential part of your safety. Changing pads and rotors when they wear out is extremely important. They not only make your driving experience safe but smooth as well. If you want to use brake pad replacement services in Melbourne, you can get in touch with Fawkner Towing. We provide reliable services and make sure that our customers are satisfied with the services they provide.
18 Emma St, Fawkner VIC 3060
(03) 4050 4989